Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cream of Broccoli Soup

When I was a growing up, my mom used to make this on cold winter days. As a child, I was NOT excited to eat it, but once I left home, I used to search out good broccoli cheese soups on cold days or when I missed home. I finally got the recipe and learned to make my own because there really wasn't much that was as good as Mom's.

I have adapted my recipe to make it somewhat lower in calories than the original. We like to serve it in bread bowls or with a hearty roll if we have them on hand. Pick up some of the Vosen's rolls from All Seasons next time you are there, they have many wonderful varieties.

Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

Cydne's Cream of Broccoli Soup

2 cups chicken broth (can be made with bouillon)
16 oz broccoli, chopped*
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1/2 cup flour
1/4  cup butter
1 can evaporated milk
2 tsp mustard
1 cup grated cheese, plus extra for serving

In a large pot, cook broccoli and onion in broth until tender. In a separate saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, milk and mustard and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.  Add sauce to the broth & broccoli and mix. Add cheese and heat until melted. Serve hot with grated cheese on top, in a bread bowl or with a roll on the side.

*Cauliflower or mushrooms can be substituted for some or all of the broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment